Like I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, the flu can’t be treated with antibiotics. The good news is that there are plenty of anti-viral things you can use as well as other things you can do to stimulate your immune system. Here are some of my favorites:
1. Good old fashioned Vitamin C. I know this sounds simple, but it really can be quite the little miracle. Click here to see how to take it.
2. Herbal remedies
- Echinacea to keep those little bugs from being able to spread while stimulating your immune system 60 drops of the tincture every hour until you feel better
- Goldenseal to really kill those bugs (as well as your taste buds if you use a tincture…it’s really really really bitter) I’d recommend getting this one powdered, in a capsule, and taking one capsule, three times a day
- Isatis is my favorite anti-viral. It’s a Chinese herb that often comes in combination with other herbs. I like the formula Chuan Xin Lian for its effectiveness, although I can’t say much for the flavor. For Chuan Xin Lian (affectionately know as CXL for those of us who don’t speak Chinese), take 4 of the little tablets 4 times a day. Just swallow quickly!
3. Get a fever and help it along! A fever is your bodies way of increasing your temperature to a point where the bug can’t survive. Drink cinnamon or ginger tea. Get into a hot bath. Get out and wrap up in a wool blanket and hat. Sweat it out! And, don’t let yourself get cold! If you are a healthy adult, you can probably tolerate a temperature of 104 degrees Fahrenheit.
And, as always, this advice does not substitute that of your Naturopathic Doctor! Always check with her first if you have any questions.