A warm sock treatment is one of the easiest, cheapest way to treat a cold. It’s one of those naturopathic treatments that seems to have been around since the dawn of time. Only something that works really well can stand that kind of test of time. One of my favorite things about it is that it works just as well with small children as it does with adults. Believe it or not, this simple treatment helps to increase circulation and decrease congestion in your upper respiratory passages, head and throat. It is also helpful with pain relief and increases the healing response during acute infections.
Here is what you’ll need:
- A pair of thin, cotton socks
- A pair of cozy, wool socks
- Cold water
- Your freezer, although this can be optional
Here is how to do it:
- Put the cotton socks in the cold water, or just run them under the faucet (the colder the water is, the better)
- If you’d like, and can handle a little more, I like to put mine in the freezer. You can let them get a little colder, or actually wait until they’re a little crunchy.
- As you are climbing into bed, put the cold socks on your feet, then quickly put on the wool socks over top of the cold, cotton ones
- Leave them on until morning
- You will wake up with dry, warm feet and you cold symptoms will have dissipated.