I’m sure most of you have heard by now about the Hepatitis A scare. What happened was that a woman, and now several others, who had been eating the frozen berry mix from Costco, have been diagnosed with Hepatitis A. While they still can not find any trace of the virus on the actual fruit, Costco has recalled them since they seem to be the common denominator is these illnesses.
Costco is also offering free Hepatitis A vaccines for anyone who has been exposed. Before you jump to something that drastic, here are a few things you should know.
1. Hepatitis A is a self-limiting disease in most people. This means that it may make you sick, but it will pass, just as any cold or flu does, within a few days.
2. Many people never experience any symptoms from it
3. Some symptoms you may experience are similar to the flu:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Stomach Pain
- Slight Fever
- Loss of appetite
4. Other symptoms may include:
- Dark Urine
- Pain over your liver (just under the right side of your rib cage)
- A yellow color to your skin or eyes
5. People with Chronic Liver Disease or compromised immune systems are the ones more likely to progress to more serious liver disease
6. Contact your doctor if you’ve been exposed OR if you are worried
Other ways to protect yourself if you think you’ve been exposed:
- Avoid fatty foods or supplements that can be more difficult for your liver to process
- Drink Milk Thistle Tea
Come in for an anti-viral/immune-boosting shot!
Simple ways to support your immune system
- Drink lots of water
- Eat your veges
- Take your multi-vitamin
- Or schedule an appointment with your doctor to see what is the best course of action for you.