Click here to read my previous post all about Whooping Cough (formerly known as Pertussis) including a few thoughts on how to treat it. Here are just a few reminders for you.
Things you should know about pertussis:
- It looks like a regular cold for the first 2 weeks, so you won’t even know if you, or someone you’re around, has it.
- You’re only contagious before you start coughing (during the time when is think you have a cold)
- Vaccines do not make you immune for life
- Antibiotics won’t treat pertussis once you’ve started coughing
How to protect yourself and your family
- Avoid contact with anyone who has the symptoms of a cold
- Keep your immune system strong by eating your vegetables, avoiding excess sugar and getting lots of quality sleep
- Gargle with Epsom salts if you feel a cold coming on